A Short History of BHYC
The Bay Head Yacht Club was established on September 8, 1888 “to promote yachting and rowing and to foster athletic sports upon the water”. Bay Head was then emerging as a popular seaside resort that attracted prominent families from Philadelphia and New York. The first clubhouse was built in 1889 on pilings at the head of Barnegat Bay. The modest building was surrounded by marshes and reached from land by boardwalks. In 1893 the clubhouse was moved 100 yards east to its present location and in 1928 the current clubhouse was built to accommodate a growing membership.
BHYC members were active participants in early sneakbox and catboat racing on the shallow waters of Barnegat Bay. In 1914 the Club was a founding member of the Barnegat Bay Yacht Racing Association. Bay Head Commodore John V.A. Cattus was elected the BBYRA’s first commodore. That summer O.G. Dale of BHYC won the first BBYRA championship in his 20’ Sneakbox “Arran”. Since then BHYC sailors have won 175 championships in classes ranging from E Scows to Barnegat Bay’s splendid wooden A Cats.
Bay Head has had many prominent sailors in its history including Slade Dale, winner of the Cruising Club of America’s Blue Water Medal for 1929 for a cruise to Cuba and back in “Postscript”, a 23’ cutter designed by Dale himself. Also Sam Merrick, champion E Scow sailor, who managed the U.S. Olympic Sailing Team to its best showing ever: an unprecedented three gold and two silver medals in 1984. Sam was honored later that year with US Sailing’s most prestigious award, The Nathanael Herreshoff Trophy.
BHYC's campus is a "key site" in Bay Head's historic district. It includes two buildings separately listed on the National Register as "contributing structures" within the historic district: our clubhouse and the boat shed, formerly known as Dale's Yacht Basin, on Lake Avenue.
BHYC welcomes visitors accompanied by members. We ask all guests and members to remember ...
A Few of Our Rules
Cell phones and PDAs are not permitted in the dining areas of the club.
Evening Colors: BHYC observes the time-honored naval tradition of Evening Colors at sunset each day. Evening Colors begins with the command, "Attention to Colors" followed immediately thereafter by a cannon shot (except on Sundays when, by tradition, the cannon shot is replaced by the command, "Colors"). Upon hearing the cannon shot, or the command "Colors," all those on Club property in sight of the flag on the Main Dock, including those dining on the porch, will stand and face the flag, in silence, with their right hand over their heart, until the flag is fully lowered. At that point, the command, "Carry on" will be given. Note: Those inside the Clubhouse, or other Club buildings, do not participate in the observance of Evening Colors.
Dress Code: click here for details.
Payment for Club Services
No cash or credit cards are accepted at the Club. Members must sign for all charges.
Club facilities are available to members for private parties. Members may also sponsor private events for a non-member with the approval of the House Committee Chairman and the General Manager.
The Bay Head Yacht Club is a smoke free facility. Smoking is not allowed anywhere inside the Clubhouse, the Pro Shop or Paddle Hut. Receptacles are placed outside the Clubhouse, both upstairs and downstairs, to accommodate those who wish to smoke. Cigar and pipe smoking are not allowed on the porch during hours when food service is available and until all dining is concluded.
Overnight Dockage for Transient Vessels
Please call the Club Office at 732-899-2000 to make arrangements. We have limited space, so please allow us about a week's notice.
Bay Head Yacht Club
111 Metcalfe Street
Bay Head, N. J. 08742
Office: (732) 899-2000
Fax: (732) 899-2085
View Larger Map
Northern New Jersey:
Garden State Parkway South to Exit 98. Bear left after tollbooth heading toward Route 34 South-Point Pleasant. Follow Route 34 South through circle. Within 4-5 miles Route 34 South becomes Route 35 South. Follow Route 35 South through Point Pleasant Beach. After crossing over the Railroad Tracks proceed South on Route 35 to the 3rd traffic light, Bridge Avenue. Turn right at this light onto Bridge Avenue. Proceed straight, through next traffic light (Lake Avenue) and at the next street, Club Drive, make a left. At the end of Club Drive turn right. Parking lot is at the end of the Tennis Courts.
Southern New Jersey:
Garden State Parkway North to Exit 90. Exit to the right and turn onto Chambersbridge Road. At the 4th traffic light, turn left onto Route 70. Staying in the right lane, continue on Route 70 to the 2nd traffic light and follow signs for Route 88. Stay on Route 88 through 4 traffic lights. At the 5th traffic light turn right onto Bridge Avenue. Continue on Bridge Avenue through 4 traffic lights. After the 4th traffic light continue to the 3rd street, turn right onto Club Drive. At the end of Club Drive turn right. Parking Lot is at the end of the Tennis Courts.
Western New Jersey:
New Jersey Turnpike to Exit 7A, Interstate 195 East. Interstate 195 East approximately 30 miles to Route 34 South-Brielle/Point Pleasant. Follow Route 34 South through circle. Within 4-5 miles Route 34 South becomes Route 35 South. Follow Route 35 South through Point Pleasant Beach. After crossing over the Railroad Tracks proceed South on Route 35 to the 3rd traffic light, Bridge Avenue. Turn right at this light onto Bridge Avenue. Proceed straight, through next traffic light (Lake Avenue) and at the next street, Club Drive, make a left. At the end of Club Drive turn right. Parking lot is at the end of the Tennis Courts.